ValvTechnologies is the leading manufacturer of severe service valves for the fossil power, nuclear generation, upstream oil and gas, downstream and chemical processing, petrochemical, mining and minerals and specialized industries. For decades, ValvTechnologies has engineered the best valve solutions for severe service applications. Our in-depth application knowledge and customer relationships in the industries we serve, coupled with differentiating technical expertise in specialty, severe service valve design, creates unparalleled customer value in product reliability, performance and services.
Three general types of valves exist in the power, oil and gas, mining and specialized industries. They include:
- Severe service: the premium options with the highest margins. Designed to last and give the lowest cost of operation over an extended period of time. Often have higher initial costs but longest service life. Able to thrive in the harshest of conditions.
- General purpose: quality options for applications that are not severe. Reputable brands that we know and trust to provide better than average performance. Lower front end cost.
- Commodity: lower quality options with limited margins. Unable to perform for reasonable time period in average conditions. Supplier needs to be set up from an operational standpoint to sell these and be profitable. Avoid if possible unless it provides stepping stone to GPV and SSV sales.
Severe service isolation valves – what are they? While no clear, industry-agreed up definition is currently available, severe service isolation valves are used in applications where:
- A downstream or atmospheric release of process will negatively affect the process, plant and human safety, environment or income stream of the facility
- Required valve performance must be available on demand over a defined minimum time period
When should you choose a severe service valve? Not EVERY application requires a severe service valve. The application dictates the valve!
- Must be available on demand
- Cryogenic fluids
- Fugitive emissions
- High alloy metallurgy
- High dP
- Solids deposition
- Tightness of closure
- High temperature
- Thus: The application dictates the valve
Types of severe service isolation valves include:
- True metal seated ball valves with shut-off class of ZERO-LEAKAGE
- Parallel slide gate valves with shut-off class of ZERO-LEAKAGE
- Highest isolation quality
- Zero-leakage as defined by ISO 5208 and API 598 and future HITS
- Fugitive emissions exceeding requirements of new API 624
- Repeatable isolation performance despite the application