Expect Extraordinary Results.
Rhinoite® hardfacing provides bottom-line cost savings and wears five to seven times longer than bare metal in process applications.
ValvTechnologies Rhinoite® hardfacing process is an innovative, MIG weld overlay that utilizes state of the art equipment — producing extraordinary results. The process can be adapted to all service environments, in every wear application: erosion, corrosion, adhesion and high-temperature applications. ValvTechnologies Rhinoite® hardfacing has been a proven leader of hard metal overlay on elbows, t-sections and choke tubes in chemical plants and refineries for the past six years with zero failures. The Rhinoite® hardfacing weld process focuses on minimizing loss of production time by wearing five to seven times longer than bare metal. The Rhinoite® hardfacing overlays can be completely refurbished after years of service, reducing overall material and maintenance costs.
The Rhinoite® weld process has been subject to extensive corrosion and erosion testing. Once tested for 2000 hours with direct salt spray fog, microscopic examination of the carbide coated surfaces at the interim inspection showed little to no effect on the carbide surfaces throughout the test period. Additionally, upon removal of the Rhinoite® overlay product by glass bead abrasive blasting, the component surfaces were virtually unaffected. (ASTM B117 – 90 – standard test method of salt spray).
Using an automatic GMAW process an overlay of mild steel wire with dispersed cemented metal carbide pellets is applied to a base material. The result is a weld overlay with embedded hard particles of carbide that can be diamond ground down to desired dimensions. The process provides improvements in wear resistance that enables the component to have an extended service life even when used in highly erosive and/or corrosive environments.
- Tungsten carbide content
- Fluid erosion resistant
- Corrosion resistant
- Oxidation resistant
- Thickness up to 3/8”
Rhinoite® Weld Hardfacing Application Process
- Material selection. Custom overlay for a wide range of wear applications. Base metal and weld wire selection based on application; carbon steel, stainless steel, duplex steel and Inconel.
- Overlay. Generally a two-layer-automated GMAW process with tungsten carbide power dispersed in the first layer.
- Finishing. May grind to desired dimension or leave as welded depending upon application.
- Rhinoite® provides bottom-line cost savings
- Minimizes loss of production time by wearing five to seven times longer in service operations than bare metal
- Reduces frequency of shutdown times to years rather than months
- Eliminates equipment rentals, insulation replacement and inspection frequency
- Reduces required man-hours for overall maintenance of units
- Improved safety by reducing the risk of equipment failure
Rhinoite® Hardfacing - Report of Hardness Profile Knoop 0.5 Kg Load Test Results
- Furnace bends
- Furnace caps
- Coker nozzles
- Choker tubes