ValvTechnologies’ cryogenic valves are built to withstand the most severe applications. This solution represents an important step forward in cryogenic technology by providing absolute zero-leakage thanks to the RiTech® coated integral seat, live-loaded fugitive emissions and fire safe tested design.
According to most specifications, cryogenic valves for LNG service must be fire tested.
Unfortunately, the soft goods in most cryogenic ball valves will not pass the industry standard fire tests. Additionally, some metal seated valves which claim to be “inherently fire safe” have not actually been fire tested.
Contrary to conventional ball valve designs that attempt to adapt hard seats to a soft seated design, ValvTechnologies’ valves were designed from the beginning to be metal seated.
The ValvTechnologies’ design is centered around a seat that is machined as one piece integral to the end connector. This provides a stable platform onto which the ball is loaded with the high force of a Belleville® spring. The proprietary RiTech® carbide coating on the ball and integral seat are mate lapped, which, in combination with the spring, provide a tight metal seal at all differential pressures and temperatures. In addition, all ValvTechnologies’ valves feature live-loaded fugitive emissions and fire safe stem packing.
ValvTechnologies’ ball valves do not use any elastomers. As such, the valves are inherently fire-safe by design. Pressure and temperature parameters are dictated by the grade of steel used in construction of the valve, not by o-rings.
- Integral metal seat. With our proprietary HVOF RiTech® coating technology, the integral seat in ValvTechnologies’ valves is resistant to the attack of abrasive magnetite and ferrous oxides that may be seen in the steam flow.
- Body seal ring. ValvTechnologies employs a field proven seal ring technology to ensure sealing under all operating conditions, up to 1400°F. The body seal ring is loaded at a pressure higher than 20,000 psi. In addition, valves sized three inch and above contain a secondary Grafoil seal to further guarantee reliability
- Patented coating process. The sealing surfaces are overlaid with tungsten or chromium carbide using our exclusive HVOF RiTech® process. These surfaces have a hardness of 68 – 72 Rc to allow long periods of operation in the most severe conditions.
- Live-loaded gland area. The V Series’ sealing design features a four stud, live-loaded assembly designed for heavy industrial applications. The sealing material is high purity Grafoil® surrounded by stainless steel wire mesh anti-extrusion rings. The six Belleville® springs (per stud) provide constant load pressure through extreme thermal shocks and prevent wear leaks in high-cycle service.
- Blow-out proof stem design utilizes a one piece, hard-faced, blow-out proof stem that is inserted through the inside of the body cavity eliminating the possibility of blow-out through the gland area.
- Through conduit design: No tortuous flow path. When open it has the highest possible Cv’s. Minimized wear & tear. Benefit: Eliminated vibration, reduced maintenance
- Fixed position – quarter turn: No seating torques required. Benefit: Minimized stem wear, lower cost of ownership
- Hardened blowout proof stem: One piece, inserted through the body & shouldered. Eliminates the weak link of collared & pinned designs. Benefit: Improved safety
- Metallic body seal ring: Increases body integrity by eliminating external leakage. Benefit: Improved reliability, zero-leakage shutoff
- Live-loaded packing gland: Minimum four bolt configuration with shallow stuffing box. Ensures consistent torque at variable pressures & temperatures. Benefit: Increased reliability
- Hardcoated & mate lapped seats: High Velocity Oxygen Fuel (HVOF) RiTech® chrome carbide hardcoating with a Rockwell C of up to 72. Mate-lapped seats. Benefit: Wear & corrosion resistant, increased reliability, zero-leakage shutoff
- Seat designs: Hardcoated, both ball & integral downstream seat to the end-cap to eliminate a potential leak path. Benefit: Increased reliability
- Simplicity of design: Designed for ease of installation & maintenance. Benefit: Easily actuated, increased system reliability, increased efficiencies, ease of use, reduced maintenance
- Stringent testing: Every valve is tested, documented & serialized. Benefit: Increased reliability, increased safety, total traceability
ValvTechnologies’ reputation as a solution-provider for the most difficult and problem service conditions is what continues to attract EPCs and end users to inquire about options for their applications. When one of the most respected engineering, construction and project management companies in the world approached ValvTechnologies to supply cryogenic ball valves for a Trinidad LNG project, the close cooperation resulted in the ValvTechnologies exceeding the client’s product performance expectations. This is a typical example of how ValvTechnologies solves some of the most severe service applications in the industry.
We work directly with customers to develop solutions that meet their unique process requirements and specialty applications.
Liquified natural gas (LNG)